PAINTING AND CONVERTING - Priest

Click here to return to Painting and Converting.

So, after the success of my first scratchbuild, I figured it was time to make another. In preperation for a 2000 point league in the future (or to be able to get rid of my mortars at 1850), I'm making another blob upgrade kit, which means another priest and another commissar. As I only have a single pair of legs left, I decided to save them for my upcoming third commissar, and give the priest a more dynamic running pose.

I already have two priests, and I really like the pose of the one who's got his leg up in the air running (care of a kneeling heavy weapon team pair of legs), I want to have one with the left leg forward. Also, my first priest I gave carapace armor to, and, so as to not make the first one look stupid even though they all got rosarius's, I continued the gold armor with my second priest.

So I figure if this is going to be the theme of my priests, why not kick it up a notch with some seriously stylish gold armor?

To begin with, I put down the frame:

The aluminum tubing I used last time for the astropath was great, so I continued use for the legs. As it made the arms kind of puffy, I decided to make the arms of the priest out of something thinner.

Now, the length of the arms and legs was measured off of a model, but I made a key mistake here. I measured the length of OUTSTRETCHED appendages. Once arms start bending, they actually lose some of their length. The end result is arms and legs that are too long. It doesn't look too bad on the finished model, but it's still a mistake. Likewise I tried out a different way of doing the head than last time, which was worse. Live and learn, I suppose.

One of the things I was trying to do this time was, now that I know scratchbuilding is in reach, to try and do it much faster. After all, I got kind of burned out on the last one, and in order to prevent that as much as possible, I need to go through the non-details part as quickly as possible. As such, I did work on the legs, arms and robe all at the same time.

Also, you will notice that I got the handle for the eviscerator done. You will also notice how sometimes it's there, and sometimes it's not, and sometimes it's at different angles. I swear I must have glued that stupid handle in a half dozen times. At least it falling off gave me more room to do detail work on the internal negative space of the model.

And here we have the rest of the clothing done. You will probably notice how the robe has a pretty bad pucker in it. What I've learned over these last few models doing free-standing GS work is that keeping on futzing with freestanding GS only makes it worse. As such, once this developed I just left it. I'll be covering over it with new GS later, rather than possibly destroying the billow of the robe here and now.

Here you will notice that the pucker is now gone. Applying new GS over cured GS is much easier than fixing the original "wet" GS in the first place.

As well, you can see how I'm trying to ramp my speed up again, doing all of the basic armor except the shoulders and even starting on the face.

I started this phase by putting on the shoulderpads. These were SURPRISINGLY tough to sculpt. I had done a lot of extending of soulderpads before, but completely from scratch was really difficult to get the curved slope of the armor just right. The shoulderpad on the right arm was the one I started with, and it came out awful (but I'll be putting more detail work over it, as you can see), and the practice this gave me made it so that I didn't make a total mockery of the left one.

As well, I did the detail work on the right kneepad, and I got started on the face. Also note the touch of grimdark with the tubing.

The face went down with startling speed and smoothness this time. The face came out actually VERY smooth (a little tough to tell with all the hair I put on), and I was really happy with the results. The only problem was the eyes, which came out WAY too deep because of the way that I had formed the base of the head in the first place. These would require much futzing later.

As well, you can see most of the detail work put in on the right shoulder (and decided to replace the lion's fangs with plasticard), and now that the shirt is done, I can add back in the eviscerator.

So the end result came out pretty well. I'm not quite as satisfied with the vision of this scratchbuild as much as the other one. The guy looks kind of gangly and off-balance. I'll definitely keep him, though ;)

In the end, I was able to finish this in about as much time as my astropath. This is good, as it has much more detail, but it's also bad in that more work over less time, actually gave me MORE burnout, I think.

For the painting, I was originally going to paint his robe a red/maroon/teracotta/brown motif like my other priests, but once I saw the model primed, I decided to go for white instead.

Also, the aforementioned problem with the eyes reared its ugly head in the painting phase. The way I handled it was with a hobby knife and some red paint...

And here he is with my other two priests:

All in all, I think it all came out rather well. I'm sort of glad that my next major work will be only a half-scratch build. My poor fingers need a break.

And, of course, here's the poster:

Or the REAL poster, which breaks forum swearing rules.